Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pieces of my days thus far:

Our first week in Sevilla, we've had some presentations, but most of the time we've been walking around the city, getting lost, and trying to find landmarks/the University/the CIEE study center/our homestays. Not only do my feet hurt at the end of the day, but I've also taken a lot of photos from these walks, most of which you can see on my facebook page.

Here is a montage of different sights around the city, everyday while I walk.

Things I see every day:

A bird's eye view from my 9th story apartment in Triana barrio of Sevilla

Los naranjos: a type of orange tree. All over the city, so beautiful. The fruit is bitter, apparently. They line sidewalks and plazas.

Bike paths. They are part of the sidewalks, but designated by the green paint and white lines as paths for bikes only. If you walk on them, you get fined like 90 euro. More than 100 dollars. This is a great city for bikes, though, I'm thinking about renting one because my walk to class Monday through Thursday is going to be about 40-60 minutes.

El Rio Guadalquivir. The River between downtown (El Centro) and my barrio (neighborhood, Triana). I walk across el Puente de Isabel Segunda everyday, either to class or the Palacio (study center) or for shopping in El Centro. I run along the river and the row of houses on the right side of the picture. One of my favorite things about Sevilla.

Night view:


5 comments:

  1. Get a bike! That's so European! Plus you'd be wasting two hours a day just walking to class if you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an amazing place to run! This makes me miss the city life. Bikes really give you a sense of freedom. When I did my homestay in Japan my host family gave me a bike to take to school everyday. Riding behind my host student, we'd weave through rice paddies on our daily commute and he'd make funny gestures to scare crows from his neighbors' fields. These are some of my fondest memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlyn, bikes seem awesome. Yes. I need to figure out how to rent them here.

    Sam, oh my goodness, you should share your rice paddy memories more. That sounds spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a kind fellow but a little too serious. Whenever he did that funny gesture to make all the crows fly away (he'd pretend to throw a rock)I would immediately imitate him and try it myself to little avail. I didn't feel bad though since he never saw my failures. I'd immediately follow up with said failures with a giddy swerve from one side of the bike path to the other, which he also never saw, I think. Haha, I'd be really quiet too, so whenever I followed him he'd look back every so often to make sure he hadn't lost me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed Sam. What an adventure that sounds like. My fondest memory of a bike is riding one when the moon was so big it filled the sky. Like a large overripe pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete